Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Cute Jewish men in a medieval manuscript

This is one of my favorite depictions of Jewish men from a medieval manuscript, because they all look so haimish. This image is taken from the cover of Talya Fishman's recent book, Becoming the People of the Talmud: Oral Torah as Written Tradition in Medieval Jewish Cultures. I've searched for the image through Google Images, but I haven't found a source for it other than the cover of the book. I would love to know what manuscript it's from and what it's supposed to be depicting. Who are these five guys, and what book are they discussing? If any of my readers know, please let me know. 



2 comments:

  1. Talya says it's on the inner back fold of the book jacket…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. A friend of mine who is an art historian also sent me the information - see the next post, which has more images from the manuscript.

    ReplyDelete